Hi,

Looking at some of the situations we currently have I think we may need some
more general guidance for incubating projects and making releases after just
joining the incubator. In this context “non approved” means releases or
distributions not approved by the PPPM and IPMC (usually by voting) and
available and promoted to the general public. This doesn’t cover snapshots, RCs
or nightly which are not advertised to the general public. Feedback / changes /
thoughts from the rest of the IPMC members welcome.

1. Can the PPMC can distrubite artefacts in other places that are based on
approved releases.

Yes.

2. Can the PPMC make unapproved releases in other places after joining the
incubator?

No but 3rd parties can and someone from the PPMC can act as a 3rd party, it
must be clear that:
a) These are produced by a 3rd party and not the PPMC and follow Apache's
branding and trademark policy.
b) This is not being used as a mechanism to avoid making Apache releases.

3. Can the PPMC make unapproved releases in their Apache repo after the code
has been moved to the incubator repo?

No.

4. Can the PPMC make unapproved release in other places after the code has been
moved to the incubator repo?

No but 3rd parties can. See 2.

5. Can the PPMC keep two repos and continue to make releases in the non Apache
one after the code has been moved to the incubator repo?

No but 3rd parties can. See 2. It’s likely that the old repo name may need to
change to avoid confusion with the Apache project.

6. Can the PPMC link to unapproved releases or distributions from their website
or download pages.

No, unless these are clearly marked as 3rd party releases and not endorsed by
the PPMC.

7. When should the first ASF release be made.

Ideally within six months of joining the incubator. Remember this first release
doesn’t have to be perfect.

There may be the occasional exception to these guidelines, this would need to
be discussed and approved by your mentors and the IPMC informed.

Thanks,
Justin