Yes, yes, not necessarily.  First:

"
For that reason, I'd like to make a simplifying assumption: that all
mentors are PPMC members, and all PPMC members are committers.
"

--
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a6ce7e3a366490f04f5c66e9434aa2b7da9a763f040262f1b12407af@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

As to your third question... I guess it would be possible (but weird)
for somebody to want to stop as a mentor but continue as a committer
(and possibly a PMC member).

- Sam Ruby