On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 12:26 PM Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgr...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 2/28/2019 3:24 PM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> >>
> >> It also seems to imply that usage of the name rainbow would somehow
> >> be offensive or insensitive. Again, I'm not sure how. Nor am I aware
> >> of situations where the LGBT+ community "has expressed concerns"
> >> about usage *of the name* Rainbow.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Anyone could hypothetically be offended by anything, I could list a
> > large number of theoretical offenses in project names. Let's please
> > stick to *actual* feedback and not preemptively censor ourselves. If
> > such feedback exists, fair enough, but I am also not aware of any such.
>
> I have asked off-list for someone I trust in the LGBTQ community who is
> also an ASF member to weigh in on this but I am aware that this is a
> concern.  I just can't articulate how much of a concern it is.  I will
> work to get that better clarified for the podling.

But this is just a random name out of many choices. I don't think it is
even worth this amount of discussion. If there's any arbitrary, possibly
spurious, reason to avoid it, there's plenty of other names. Regardless of
this issue, I wouldn't want a name that causes people to talk about
anything other than the project.

Kenn