Hi Sebb

> Seems to me this is a bit too specific (and long) - can the example
> target systems be left out?
> e.g. it could perhaps be rephrased as:
> related to application performance monitoring (aka a distributed tracing
> system)

Thanks for noticing this.

Short version, we could say, SkyWalking is an open source application
performance management/monitoring system, APM.

We join the incubator as an APM based on distributed tracing system, with our
journey in incubator and the community grows,
we become more than that (huge exciting about this, the charms of being a part
of ASF).
We could support observing/monitoring service mesh ecosystem,
such as Envoy(on developing) and Istio,
others are trying to propose more, not formally yet.
Anyway, APM is good, well known, and easy enough.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin
Twitter, wusheng1108