Hi,

> Yes, we should start recommending your approach.

I think the IPMC need to decide as a whole on that first. Perhaps call a vote?

> I am actually for this as normal course and instituting the “pTLP” as the new
> normal as it is actually makes the PPMC more like a TLP from the start.

And perhaps keep this seperate from above.

One idea did occur to me and that is one solution may not fit all podlings and
actually give podlings some choice of what system they want to use when
entering the incubator.

I also think it needs to be made very clear that some of the alternative
suggestions, while sound appealing (e.g. no IPMC votes mean we can get releases
out faster), may in some cases result in:
a) Podlings taking a lot longer to graduate
b) Issues being found where trying to graduate causing disappointment and delays
c) Mentors need to put in more effort especially when to come to steps
pre-graduation, at a time when not all of them may be as active
d) The IPMC may need to do more work at graduation time to check that
everything is in order.

Now this might only be the case for the small number of codlings that run into
trouble, and for the majority it’s fine no matter what system is used.

Also I’ll note a -1 vote on a release shouldn't be a big deal (it’s not a
veto), but a -1 vote on a graduations would be a much bigger issue. Hopefully
this wouldn’t happen and it should be obvious in the discussion about the
graduation that more needs to be done, but podlings are going to be be keen to
graduate and may overlook some advice at this point.

> (1) If a podling gets the 3 +1 binding votes from their mentors and/or IPMC
> members on their dev list then they can release and use a [DISCUSS] thread to
> solicit improvements for the next release rather than have a “useless” second
> round of voting on general@

I can point to many many case where the second round voting has been far from
useless.

> (3) If “Unofficial” Apache Releases are allowed on the normal podling Apache
> Distribution Channels then this [DISCUSS] thread can be used until the
> podling is ready for an “Official” Apache Release. As I understand it this
> needs approval from Infrastructure.

And probably legal. i.e. Would the currently legal shield still apply and is
the current disclaimer adequate? Would it have an impact of the cost of that
insurance?

Thanks,
Justin