I agree.

For example it would help heaps if there was a list of violations podling
releases make, and which are immediate showstoppers and which need to be noted
(filed as tickets) and fixed in a release before graduation.

Certainly, having that list would help land this discussion a bit better.
Justin, I think above all others you are the one sitting on a ton, the real
wealth, of knowledge here.

I appreciate the need to "know exactly what the rules are", but culturally I
hope the emphasis remains on figuring out how the incubator can improve at
helping podlings get to and through graduation without having to police them
along the way.

A lot of work has gone into improving the Incubator recently and it has been
very much appreciated.
I'm uncertain though as to whether seeking such explicit approval from the
board and infra is but in the spirit of further policing podlings, or if in
putting at ease some of the more serious concerns that the incubator has it
allows it to better focus on what services it can better provide.

I can't speak for all, but I know some folk really get the benefit from the
public praise of catching podlings doing it right. The incubator's
documentation isn't perfect, and it'll also be shifting sands and slightly out
of date, so making it easy for newcomers in the incubator to know what are the
good examples to be learning from always goes a long way.

regards,
Mick