Hi -

Here are some thoughts I have to improving Incubation. These are not really
new, but I think we should discuss where and how best to apply these.

(1) Champions need to very clear that the ASF expects Community decisions not
BDFLs. Burnout is one factor to highlight why community is important. Vendor
independence is important and part of why BDFLs don’t fly. In the last few
years we have deemphasized the role of Champion and I think we need to list out
some of the duties a Champion has to both the prospective podling community and
the Incubator.

(2) We should help existing communities plan their entry into Incubation with
their proposals. Currently TVM is moving their community over before
repositories. That might be a better approach for many communities as it will
assure that (a) the existing community keeps its current velocity and (b) they
are making community decisions on list before actual development is moved over.

(3) Having a lower impedance to release and code changes would really help. We
are already having this discussion. A very radical idea might be to move a lot
of the License, Notice and Dependency work away from the Release Vote and
instead do periodic and potentially automated audits of repositories. This
would follow the REVIEW suggestion, but make it more automated and based on
tooling.

(4) Relinquishing control of admin rights on GitHub repos is an impedance. I
understand why this is done from an Apache Infrastructure perspective, but it
is a surprise to podling communities. Making sure that a new podling knows
fully what to expect before transferring repos would really help manage
expectations.

(5) Failure to incubate is not failure. Currently 63 podlings have retired and
there are two or three additional retirements soon. 4 or 5 podlings moved on or
back to where they were. The why of retirement could be analyzed, but it would
need to look into mailing list archives because the information in podlings.xml
is not always clear and is sometimes more diplomatic than the reality.

See https://projects.apache.org for an intriguing chart.

Regards,
Dave