On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 3:23 AM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 9:38 AM Lars Francke <lars.fran...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This is very much not thought through to the end. One question raised for
> > example is whether projects would even want to become a TLP.
> > The mission states: "We do this by providing services and support for
> many
> > like-minded software project communities consisting of individuals who
> > choose to participate in ASF activities."
> > I don't see anything in there requiring anyone to "join" (I remember the
> > recent discussions about that). If you sign up to Github you're not all
> of
> > a sudden a "Github project" but still benefit from its services.
> >
> > We could do something similar.
>
> Do I understand correctly that you're proposing a sort of "indefinite
> incubation" for projects which want to benefit from our infra but don't
> want to follow one or more of the principles we have deemed important to
> producing open source software?

We have forcibly retired projects before. That option would still be
available in this model. The community "should" be moving towards
Apache-style governance and TLP-style releases. Lack of movement would be
an indicator to consider retirement. Just like we've always done.

> I don't want to do that.  If your project is in the incubator, it should be
> with at least the intention of finding out if the ASF is a good fit for
> your community. That answer could be "no".  And it could take a long time
> to figure that out.  That's OK.  But our volunteer time is a limited
> resource.  We don't need to spend it on projects which don't actually want
> to be part of the ASF.

I don't see Lars suggesting allowing such projects. There would still be a
Proposal, and retirement is still an option.

Cheers,
-g