Hi,

> So the NOTICE, to the extent that it intended to provide
> accurate notice of who is the copyright owner, is still accurate in
> referring to Verizon Media.

That is not the purpose of NOTICE. You do not list all of the copyright holders
in it. I’ve voted -1 on releases that have done this. You list only the
copyright notices that have been relocated from existing files, usually via a
software grant. Those copyrights would have had a year associated with them
which would normally be <= year when the donation was made. Note that this is
ASF policy on NOTICE files [1]

> and so long as their contributions are made in a given year, it is accurate
> to list that year.

Again see ASF policy on NOTICE files [1]

> While not perfectly accurate, this compromise
> would simultaneously avoid some of the confusion we've seen raised here
> *and* the need to make constant updates to the NOTICE file.  I'd be
> amenable to that compromise personally.

That sounds fine to me and inline with ASF policy and intent.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice