Few comments, needs of the Apache Airflow project.

In short: big +1 on enabling the "triage role".

On 2020/08/13 18:43:06, Julian Hyde <jhyde.apa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By PM, I presume that you mean either Product Manager or Program Manager.
> I’ve worked at a few companies that practiced “commercial open source”, and
> there is inherent tension in the relationship with the “business” people.

I read that as Project Manager as well. I think when there are many issues in a
project, it is often useful that the teams working on a project also have a
Project Manager that helps the team to remove obstacles (this is, I think the
main role of great Project Manager). This is the case, where several companies
have whole teams dedicated to improve the OSS project. The developers still act
as sole contributors on the OSS project, but they are paid by another
organisation to do so and the Project Manager is there to make sure the teams
work well together as well as individuals. We have some great example of that
in our company where we have teams of contributors (also committers and PMCs)
working on Apache Airflow and Apache Beam projects (among others) and there are
PMs for those projects. What's more - those PMs are not there to provide
"Business direction" but to make people working "well" together and there are
some good example of people like that who learned how to do it in the
 open-source cases. Quite recently at the Airflow Summit, our PM Karolina -
gave (together with our CTO) great talk about it and explained the challenges
and benefits of having a PM in such team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIEMEYM2PEs&list=PLGudixcDaxY3RGLSlWoN_cEEXhIT1OPmj&index=37
 . I can heartily recommend the talk to everyone who is interested in the
subject!

What's more - if you have great PMs who are really part of the team, they are
super happy to contribute to the whole OSS project - and being able to help
with the teamwork (for example by organixing issues and helping with tracking
the progress) might be a huge help for both - the teams and the project. I
think we are really blessed by having such people in our company, but I think
there are more people like that.

> The key questions are whether a PM can participate in the community (which
> means being active on the dev list), make contributions of value to the
> project (‘earn merit’), and can put aside their professional affiliation and
> act solely in the interests of the project. This is precisely what we require
> committers to do.

Yes. It's possible and I think it's the same for different people. Actually
this statement makes me quite a bit uncomfortable. It somehow implies
developer's "superiority" in terms of being able to comply with the rules of
Apache regarding professional affiliation. It hurts my way of thinking about
people being individuals and I personally think that there is a
"discriminating" thought hidden in this statement.

Being developer myself I could also feel that way, but I think personal
integrity is not really related to the role you have in any company or your job
description or affiliation with the company. I know both "business" people and
"developers" with both excellent integrity and very poor one. So I totally
don't see why "business people" would be inferior in this role. Both business
people and developers have different kinds of commercial relation, sometimes
ownership sometimes pay structure that might make it easier or more difficult
to separate the affiliation from the organisation they are in - but I think
it's eventually all the matter of personal integrity, peer pressure and a
number of other factors that determine the actions of that individual -
regardless of the job role they have. I - for one - have a significant
ownership in the company i work in (being co-founder) but my role is purely
engineering one - but my ownership could also influence decisions I make.

> So, by this logic, a PM would earn committership in a few short months. But I
> guess you’re running into a chicken-and-egg problem: if the only
> contributions a PM can make are triaging bugs, then how can they earn enough
> merit to be made a contributor? One solution is for them to contribute in
> other ways, for example writing documentation and testing.

That's the very thing - chicken and egg - I think it is very hot and important
topic discussed recently that we should have more "non-code" committers in
Apache projects and how valuable they are. I think we should make it easy for
them to contribute. In our case - more often than not - PMs input to the
documentation can be very, very limited. Most of the documentation we have
should really be written down by the developers. For testing - we do everything
possible to automate it in our project, and again - there is a limited help PMs
can provide here. But this is entirely different story for organizing work (in
whatever way). It's entirely different for Open Source projects than for
commercial ones - but it never hurts to have someone who watches how the whole
organisation works, organizes regular retrospectives, and "catalyses" the
improvements in the way people cooperate - and being able to organize and
manage projects issues (together with the developers) is a super important part
  of this.

> There is also a concern whether they can "act solely in the interests of the
> project”. Most of the PMs I know can do this, but a few cannot. Maybe it’s
> part of the ethics of “fiduciary responsibility” taught at business school;
> many PMs see themselves as potential officers of their company someday, and
> act accordingly.

Again just to reiterate. It's the same with engineers/developers. Most of them
can do this, but a few cannot. I see no reason whatsoever why "business" people
would be inferior here. It's all matter of personal integrity in my opinion,
not the role people have in organisation.

> Also beware establishing this model in a project where a majority of
> committers are employed by one company. The business people at such a
> company, even if they are entirely invisible on the dev list, have huge
> influence over the project by what development efforts they choose to fund,
> and how much time they give committers to review patches from outside the
> organization.

True - but those kind of projects are already in a bad shape. I think if that's
the case, the company (not business people!) has already enough influence on
the project. And again - I do not feel comfortable with "business people" from
the company being inferior than "developers". So for me this whole point is
rather superficial.