> I can not recall how I learned this, as I checked the README.md, we do
>
> not mention anything about how to build with docker...

We mention the docker image here:
https://nuttx.apache.org/docs/latest/quickstart/install.html#toolchain
(it's in that green "tip"), but indeed we don't have instructions on
how to build using docker.

> Anyway, NuttX is an embedded OS so maybe building it under X86 linux
> is not a typical usage...

As you showed in your tests, NuttX can as well run in a simulator.
Most of the tools should already be installed to use NuttX in a
simulator, I think only kconfig-frontend and genromfs that are usually
missing.  We have a small entry in the documentation regarding the
simulator: https://nuttx.apache.org/docs/latest/platforms/sim/sim/index.html
and more details here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTX/NuttX+Simulation

Thanks everyone for the votes!