> On Jan 8, 2022, at 4:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The Logging PMC is the hostile party here as far as I can tell, operating
> in defiance of the community of users that have made the points I have just
> written here abundantly clear for years.

The Logging PMC is the owner of Log4j 1.x. We declared it EOL in 2015. Not
one single complaint was received nor were any proposals made to the PMC
until over 6 years later. This is not the sign of a hostile PMC but one that
has
moved on from unmaintainable software. Heck, even Ceki abandoned it years
before its last release to concentrate on its replacement.

The PMC held a discussion on the dev mailing list. Out of non-PMC members
there were very few responses. One person was in favor of reviving the project
even to the point of fixing bugs and continuing development beyond just fixing
CVEs. Leo Simmons did offer to help. Here is what he said during the discussion:

    I think I made clear what I am interested in through several emails and in
code.
    I've also pointed out what I wouldn't do (like step up as a maintainer on
a.
    permanent basis, or incubate something).

    I think all the relevant arguments on how to proceed with 1.x have been
    made (a few times…).
    I don't have anything new to add.
    I'll accept the vote outcome.

So we had two people expressing interest, one with no hope of ever being
offered
commit rights due to his behavior on our lists and in reviewing the other
projects
he participates on.

So we were left with the choice of us allowing Leo to do that work and us
having
to spend time reviewing the PRs and applying them. Frankly, none of us were
interested enough in this to spend that kind of time, especially since we know
at
least two usable drop-in replacements for Log4j 1.2 that fix the CVEs already
exist.

I seriously think the outcome would have been different had Ceki offered to
help
while the discussion was going on. Instead, he decided to offer to help after
the
PMC posted its announcement of the vote results and the reasons why we voted
that way.

Since the Logging Services PMC is responsible for Log4j1 I fail to see why a
discussion is even continuing on this list. The Logging Services PMC has made
clear that it is not going to sponsor a podling for this and the PMC still
retains
ownership of the code.

Ralph