Question: where did the incubation process fail in this case? How can we prevent something like this from happening again?

On 2021/12/20 22:50:13 Eya Badal Abdisho wrote:
Hello Justin,

Thank you for your feedback. Please find more information following:

...snip...> - There are some minor trademark issues on the Bitnine site e.g [2] → All
will be fixed in a day.

One issue today is that both the Bitnine site advertises several software products with names that start with "AGE...", including a graph-based tool. The other issue is that AgeDB is a company using similar names and branding as Apache Age.

These issues clearly weren't fixed, nor do they appear to really have been seriously addressed in the past two years.

  https://bitnine.net/
  https://agedb.io/

...snip...
- I notice one person who replied to this thread had a agedb.io email
address - what is it relationship with the project?

Agedb is a US startup (incorporated in California May this year) and is
affiliated with Bitnine Global, who contributed the original AGE source
codes to the Apache Software Foundation. The purpose of Agedb is not yet
clearly defined but it is expected to be to provide graph database
solutions and related services.

I definitely appreciate our Incubator mentors, who do an incredible job in their volunteer time. Helping build communities is hard work, and is to be celebrated.

How can we improve documentation, education, or training so that the below sentence would leap out at any mentor as a "You can't do that!"

"purpose of Agedb is ... provide graph database solutions and related services"

Given we were trying to incubate Apache AGE as a graph database, the above sentence is literally describing trademark infringement! How can we make it easier to ensure podlings and their donating organizations actually take trademark transfer seriously?

--
- Shane
  Member