Hi Justin,

Thanks for your email. Much appreciated!

I agree with the requirements to join the incubator, I share the same vision.

The codebase is there, public, under the Apache license. So, I think
we are good here :)

About the community, it's a small one, but present, vibrant, and eager
to grow. We have a lot of enthusiasm around this proposal (and also
Polaris open source). I think it would be a great podling.

The split between PPMC / ocmmitters is unusual because of the
community build goal. The team had a lot of feedback and interest from
different parties, including some Apache projects.
When I prepared the proposal with the team (that included people
listed in the PPMC), we wanted to involve anyone helping the project
to grow. It's not necessary code contributions, it's everything to:
1. Help in the design (for instance Jack Ye is helping on the Apache
Iceberg REST impl vision)
2. Help to grow the community by including other communities (for
instance Anoop proposed to bridge with Apache XTable, John with Apache
Kafka, Robert with Project Nessie)
3. Mentor committers and other PPMC (that's my role mostly :)) in
addition of the regular mentor. For instance, Tyler could be a great
mentor thanks to his experience on Apache Beam.

So about the commits:
- Polaris started on a private repo at Snowflake including code that
it was not possible to push open source (Snowflake specific). So, we
had to change the history to remove these commits and have a clean
open source codebase
- You are right, not all PPMC members have committed on the repo, same
about the committers. The reason they are there is that either:
   1. Their contributions are not code
   2. Their contributions are not yet there, but they plan to contribute
I think it happens pretty often to have people listed in the initial
committers without commit (for instance, I think on Gravitino, Ashish
Singh is on the initial committer list without a commit afair).

I understand your comment, and it's important to me.
If it's a concern for you, I'm happy to rework the initial committer
list with the team (also removing PPMC list to use the default layout)
and grow the PPMC/committers when in the incubator.

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB