Sam Ruby wrote:

> It looks like Avalon has been steadily deprecating interfaces that James
> has been depending on.  Now James is broken.
>
>    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-02-11/james.html
>
> Who wants to volunteer to look into it?
>
> Standard reason: if one wants to deploy a server solution involving
> multiple Apache Jakarta subprojects, each of which depend on different
> point in time snapshots of Avalon, which version of the avalonapi.jar
> should one put into the classpath first?
>
> - Sam Ruby

That's exactly why I want to split java.apache.avalon into three CVS!

API (design patterns, interfaces, contracts etc. have a very different
lifecycle from the framework implementation and it's critical to the
health of projects depending on those API to have two development
pipeline separated.

Most of the org.apache.avalon package is quite stable... it's been
stable for more than one year! What keeps changing is the kernel
implementation (Phoenix) on wich dependencies are weeker.

> P.S.  Kudos to the Avalon team for deprecating interfaces.

Federico