"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
> Jakarta is rich in general-use tools.  We just need to get them out into
> the light of day, documented, and supported directly, not incidentally
> as part of larger projects.

I believe you and I are on the same page, Geir. Costin wants to go a
different way with this. Which way the proposal goes would depend on a
vote of proposed committers. That could in turn affect how many interim
committers join the actual subproject.

I'll set up an interim list this weekend, and we can circulate a
questionnaire that covers the various points of view we've seen here.
Depending on the responses to the questionaire, and any subsequent
discussion, we can prepare a formal proposal, and vote on that.

Here are some preliminary notes of what I was going to suggest when the
list opens.

--

The business of this group will be conducted according to the Jakarta
guidelines and common practices.

Final vote on proposal will be by super-majority (3/4 of interim
committers)

All other polls and votes by active majority

  +1 like it, can help;
  +0 like it, but can't help;
  -0 don't like it, can't help;
  -1 don't like it, lets do this instead: {alternative}.

All polls and votes expire in five days (120 hours) or when all
committers have replied.

Since this is an interim group, participation is more important than
ever. All interim committers are strongly encouraged to reply to every
[POLL] or [VOTE] thread posted by another interim committer.

(If it helps, post a flat zero "(0)" vote, if you really don't care
about something.)

New interim committers to a proposed subproduct are welcome, and may
voted in by the existing subproduct
committers in the usual way.

--

Meanwhile, I'd like to see a CJAN someday, but that's not something I
would comfortable working on right now. It may also be outside what the

-Ted.