Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> IMHO Gump serves a different, also valid, purpose as a tinderbox
> detector of incompatibilities.
>
> The goal of nightly builds is different -- it is to create something
> that ought to be marginally usable.  For that reason, a nightly build
> would use a stable Ant (for example), instead of hot-off-the-CVS code
> that Gump uses.

I have always done all of my development with the absolute latest Ant.  The
results have always been more than just marginally useful.

Now that other people are watching this too, this will become self
re-inforcing.  I am now building and posting a number of builds - all using
the latest versions of their dependencies.  I think that we are only a few
weeks away from the point whereby most Gump runs will be absolutely clean,
and a month or too from the point where people will actually expect it to
be clean.

If somebody wants me to, I'll gladly post *EVERY* subproject.

Alternatively, if somebody has a better idea, I'll gladly stop posting (but
continue building).

> That being said, it might well be possible to tweak the Gump scripts
> so that they operate in a different mode for nightly builds.  Sam?

Gump runs scripts.  The scripts can be set up to point to stable versions.

- Sam Ruby