Hello,

I suppose this horse was thoroughly beaten to death but I still would like to hear
about the pros and cons of including binary files in CVS.

The advantages are:

- By including required jar files for an application, the installation becomes easier
as the user does not need to fetch them herself.

- Only versions of the binaries known to work with the application are under CVS. This
also eases installation.

The disadvantages:

- CVS does not handle binaries very well.

- Increased checkout overhead as the binary files need to be retrieved from the
network through the CVS  pserver.

- The binary file under CVS control might interact with other binaries that the user
has. For example, if the user has x.jar on her classpath and x.jar is also under CVS.

Any other advantages disadvantages? How bad is the overhead of manipulating binary
files with CVS? Thanks for your comments, Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü     Web: http://qos.ch
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]