Sam Ruby wrote:

[snip]

> Gump doesn't solve these problems.  Peter Donald has outsmarted it.  Jason
> van Zyl ignores it.

I have not made the message go away, that is true. But I'm not simply
going to apply a patch just to make GUMP stop complaining, that's not
going to solve the real problem. There are fundamental aspects of
Turbine
that have been reimplemented in Jetspeed because the Jetspeed group has
felt that some essential functionality is missing. This is true, but I
am trying to work with Raphael from the group to find a solution.
We are both busy, but steps in the right direction have been made. One
of the problems was the amalgamation of the ExtendedProperties classes.
This is on it's way into the commons and I am trying to integrate some
of
Raphaels additional changes back into the new Configuration class. The
second problem is the template service in turbine. I have revamped the
template service and additional changes are being made my Ilkka Priha
to try and address some limitations in an attempt to make the use
of the Turbine template service more applealing then reimplementing
it. The Jetspeeders don't care about developing against the HEAD of
Turbine because we do change so much (I know we change a lot and I
know it's a big problem), and a temporary patch to silence GUMP wouldn't
really do much to solve anything tangible. I value the output of GUMP
and I do what I can, I don't think it's fair to say that I'm igorning
the problem or ignoring GUMP.

I work on a project which relies on Turbine, and am often annoyed at
myself when trying to upgrade a turbine.jar. I have yet to learn to
balance my eagerness to improve turbine with the saneness of stability.
I intend for this habit to die quickly when turbine is released at
javaone.

[snip]

> A final note.  At http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/ymtd/ymtd.html you
> will find a comparison between Turbine/Velocity and Struts/JSP.  I pretty
> much agree with everything said there.  But I'll place my bets on
> Struts/JSP.  Not because of some presumedly massive Sun marketing machine.
> Not because it it technically better.  But because I for one don't like
> rewriting my applications every few months.

How much do you want to bet :-) I do like those US dollars :-)

This is a problem with Turbine, a big one. I think that the
release at javaone will be a big step in the right direction
and will go a long way toward providing a stable incarnation
of Turbine that is far less annoying to work with.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]