Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> It is becoming increasingly clear to me that the inclusion
> of binaries in a CVS is a minor or even a negligible point.
> It begets heated debate but does not matter that much at
> the end of the day. What matters is the quality of the code,
> stability of the API and portability.

LOL!

If you think this was a heated debate, then you really haven't been around
here long!  ;-)

Apache in general, and Jakarta in specific tolerates a significant amount
of diversity of opinions.  Within a subproject, what matters most is the
opinions of a majority of committers to that subproject.

There are people who believe that Ant would have a more active development
community if only it were to check in an ant.jar.  There are people who
believe that releases of JetSpeed and Turbine would not be so tied at the
hip if turbine.jar weren't checked into jetspeed's cvs.  The majority of
committers on both projects understand the points that are being made, but
have come to different conclusions.  And life goes on.

- Sam Ruby