At 12:28 PM 6/7/01 -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>This will be my last post on the subject, but this is also a misnomer.
>Public Domain works are open to all without license or warranty.  They
>cannot have any license or warranty due to the nature of public domain
>as a whole.
>
>If you use public domain code, and it screws up your system, there is
>no one to prosecute except yourself.  The reason being is that once a
>work enters the public domain, there is no guarantee that the copy of
>the work you have is the original.

I am not sure this is true - at least in the US and Australian law. If I
pick up a PD work and it screws my system then I can sue the
distributor/author. Default position is that you have the right to sue.
When accepting a license you give up that right. With PD there is nothing
that makes you give up that right.

Cheers,

Pete