Geoff Soutter wrote:

> Isn't Web Services basically just the EDI concept with a trendy new name?
>
> Applications have been talking to each other across company boundaries since
> the 80's after all.
>
> Just ask the car makers who've done all their purchasing, etc via "web
> services" for aeons ... :-)

This is true to a large extent.  There are two key differences though:  the
information is in a standard format (XML) which only requires a generic parser
to read, and the addition of automatic discovery of services.  Another key
difference is the emphasis on ubiquity.

I doubt Web Services will replace traditional EDI soon, but there are some
neat things that the Web Services approach allows you which EDI does not (at
least my _very_limited_ understanding of EDI).  The first thing is UDDI for
automatic publication and registration of services offered.  EDI typically
is set up on a company by company basis involving humans.  This approach
cannot scale to the extent that Web Services claims to (i.e. like HTML web sites).
The second is the standard markup definition used for data exchange.  By using
XML, a company can choose the XML parser based on performance and load criteria
(something that EDI can't offer alot of choice in).

Web Services is the next big idea for a smart web where things just "work".
One way I can see this take off is in a "smart kitchen".  Imagine if you will
the kitchen of the future where the refrigerators and cupboards keep track of
inventory and order groceries to be delivered on a "Just in Time" basis.  This
of course would be first adopted by professional establishments, and then find
their way into everyday homes.  The scenario outlined above also buys into the
embedded market in what they preach.  It is a "realizable dream" in that it
can be done with today's technology--the business side of things has to be worked
out though.

Web Services do have potential beyond what EDI preaches--and it is in small services
that can be combined into a larger service.  This is in contrast to one large
transaction
with one party.  The interesting twist to Web Services is that you can change the
players that make up compound service without affecting the logic of the service.