> Jon Stevens wrote:
> >
> > Here is my proposal for new project creation guidelines. I have not
> linked
> > it into the main site until I can get 3 +1 votes from the PMC and 0 -1
> votes
> > from the PMC.
> >
> >     <http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html>
> >
> > I will accept any patches against this document and/or direct commits
> from
> > PMC members.
>
> Comment on the proposal itself: the Project Management Committee bylaws
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/management.html) clearly state that
> "Creation of a new subproject requires approval by 3/4 vote of the PMC."

Sorry, I did not catch that previously. IMHO, the 3/4 requirement
should be maintained.

> Furthermore, the still unratified proposal guidelines
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/proposal.html)  state that "It is preferred
> but not required that at least one PMC member be a Committer to a new
> subproject".  We need to reconcile these two proposals.

An alternative requirement should be that there must be a PMC member
who is willing to champion the project and no PMC member who is
opposed to it. This requirement is inspired by the "Identify the
Champion" pattern.

See http://iamwww.unibe.ch/~oscar/Champion/champion.html for details.

Requiring two active developpers might be somewhat artificial. IMHO,
it is often better to have a single developper who is totally
committed to a project than 20 lukewarm developers. On the other hand,
2 is obviously better than 1. Ceki