On 11/2/01 3:13 AM, "Jon Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> on 11/1/01 11:59 PM, "Matt Egyhazy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> perhaps sun should make it more clear that petshop is not a benchmark and is
>> instead a multi-faceted example of the possibilities offered by j2ee.  i
>> suppose they could rework it and create a benchmark out of it...
>>
>> microsoft is obviously misusing it...and that is possibly what they do best
>> (and are 'doing right'), spread FUD.
>>
>> matt
>
> I don't get it though. Why shouldn't a fully functional demo also be able to
> be used as a real application (or the basis for one)? A pet store shopping
> cart isn't rocket science. Even if it is just an educational science
> project, why does it have to be that much more complex and overly done than
> an equivalent application in another language/system/os.
>
> The point being is that M$ claims that their version of PetStore is that
> much smaller and easier to understand. Well, if their version also has all
> of the same showcase of features, then how come it is still that much
> smaller/simpler/faster?

Except that (someone noted) that the MSFT version doesn't have all the same
features, so it's not a valid comparison.

This is an opportunity for us to build a PetStore example w/o a middle tier,
and see how that compares to the .NET version.

geir

> I don't really see what M$ did as being FUD. What they are doing is showing
> the hypocrisy of Sun's marketing engine and the technologies that Sun is
> pushing on people to use.
>
> W a k e  u p  p e o p l e
>
> -jon
>

> --

Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting
"He who throws mud only loses ground." - Fat Albert