At 13:26 06.01.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>>> Again, you might think the above is flip, but you are talking about
>>> modifying the charter here...
>>
>> The charter was modified ages ago. Sure the words haven't changed but it has
>> been a long time since jakarta project was actually true to the words in its
>> charter ... see Ant the "server-side" project
>>
>> So instead of accepting that we violate scope with more than half the jakarta
>> projects people took to inventing reasons to keep them at jakarta. ie Ant
>> became acceptable because it was a tool that could be used to build
>> serverside projects. How silly is that reason?
>
>Slightly revisionist.  Ant was part of the original charter for Jakarta.
>There was a sister project named "Java" which contained a number of other
>projects
>
>Just to have a little fun (and this time, it is very intentional)... the
>project I consider most "out of scope" is dvsl.  There is nothing server
>specific about it, and has everything in the world to do with XML.  Check
>it out for yourself: http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/dvsl/index.html .
>
>I still maintain that scope is a distraction.  Community is what is
>important.

Agreed. Community is what is important. How is this consistent with your previous
remarks about what Roy may think of widening the scope?

More importantly, does the project (in the sense of XML or Jakarta) set the community?
The projects influences the community but does not set it. There is emerging consensus
that the umbrella projects we have are somewhat artificial. So what do we do? Shrug
our shoulders and move on? Regards, Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch