on 1/7/02 11:17 AM, "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> +1
>
> I believe that if we continue to provide an useful structure, then the
> community will continue to build itself, in the way the community sees
> fit.

We have grown to the size where we don't have structure anymore because no
one follows it. Case in point, code which has been checked in which does not
follow the standards we do have.

> As I understand it, the point of the ASF is promote the development of
> codebases in the Apache Way. As a administrative convenience, the
> Jakarta project was born to host these codebases. Whether or not the
> codebases interact or cross-pollinate or form a larger community, I
> think, is irrelevant. If the codebases want to do this, fine. If the
> codebases don't want to do this, also fine.

I don't agree with that at all. If the above is the case, then we are no
better than a very public Sourceforge.

> Cross-pollination, when it happens, it a great thing. But it should not
> be the test of Jakarta. The only test is whether our teams are
> meritocratic, and are happily using that meritocracy to create great
> software.

Clearly we do not share similar values and opinions.

-jon