No, I wouldn't say that the combination of Struts and EJB is problem prone.

The problems lie mainly with EJB and are in the following areas..

1) EJBs are only useful/applicable is certain situations.  Incorrect use of
EJBs (i.e. dictated by management when inappropriate) is a source of a lot
of issues.
2) Incorrect usage of EJB types by designers.  Studying the design patterns
and using the right type of beans for the right task is essential.
3) Inexperienced developers.  The EJB spec is large and the learning curve
steep.

The problems addressed by EJBs are non-trivial, and the method of
programming them is different to that which most programmers will be used
to.  Hence the problems that are being reported.

I do think that people like Vic stating 'EJB=bad' is extremely unhelpful
(and is probably more a reflection of the fact that they have not looked
into the subject deeply enough to understand why it is incorrect).

Also 'EJBs are for newbies' could not be more wrong.  EJBs are about as much
for newbies as the javax.swing.text packages are!

BTW: I ended up getting a copy of the Monson-Haefel book for each of my
developers, and I would recommend that development teams get a copy of the
chosen EJB reference text for each developer, as it seems to be important to
help the developers immerse themselves in the technology to be able to make
it work.

Hope that helps
    david