From: Leo Simons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> Torque is a persistence layer that uses O/R mapping to use a database
> to provide persistence. A persistence layer is a handy tool in many
> server applications.
>
> CrossDB is a database abstraction layer that uses the Factory and the
> Builder pattern a lot which enables you to write code that works on
> several databases, transparantly. You can see it as an extension to
> JDBC. Database abstraction layers are useful in any application that
> talks to databases.

I would add, that having a database abstraction layer doesn't prevent
you from writing a persistence layer.

If a project had a need to hand-craft their persistence layer (not sure
why, but it's entirely possible), and a requirement to be able to connect
to different database implementations at runtime (I know of products with
that requirement) then it might be reasonable to write that persistence
layer using CrossDB.

You aren't scattering database logic throughout your code.
You are centralising it into one chunk of code.
You could read your column names from resources if you wished.

At some point some piece of code has to use jdbc to talk to your database.
If you need to talk to multiple databases (or even if you don't), then an
abstraction like CrossDB may be suitable.

I've never used it, I probably wouldn't use it, but if there is a need for
people to still use JDBC directly (and I believe there is, in some cases),
then a tool like CrossDB is not without merit.

Not that this is in any way endorsing it as a jakarta project, since the
requirement there are more about community and commitment than use cases.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of
Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email
you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or
any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not
guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions
expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie
Bank.