dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

"Nicola Ken Barozzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
05/13/02 10:00 PM
Please respond to "Jakarta General List"

        To:     "Jakarta General List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Project Activity

From: "Peter Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Mon, 13 May 2002 20:17, Danny Angus wrote:
> > Sometimes lists are where the activity is, commits alone don't credit
the
> > essential design and planning effort put in by users commiters and
> > non-commiters that shapes the product and maps its progress.
>
> Agreed - even worse. Sometimes after these activity meters turn up you
get
> committers breaking up one commit into many commits, presumably to push
their
> activity level up. You also get the many typographic changes for much
the
> same reason.

This is exactly what has happened to turbine-maven just after the
statistics
were made.
Many commits without description and many cosmetic changes.

Measuring how well a project is doing with these stats is nonsense.
There is no semantics in numbers.

Say you are having tons of letters from angry users that claim that your
product sucks.
Is the number of posts still a health indicator?
Maybe of the mailing list software ;-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -