I agree with andy to an extent here:

> I do NOT think developers should be granted CVS access without voting
> rights.

But do still believe that there ought to be a more restrictive set of
permissions, and responsibilities, for "entry level"  sub-project
membership, if entry level members buy-in to the project community they will
learn where to ask to be proposed for full membership.

I think its important, getting back to the cause of this discussion to
reconcile the two ideals of firstly letting sub-projects manage their own
entry criteria, and secondly still maintaining a real community amongst
those with a wider horizon.

The problem Pier raised can be summarised as the entrance criteria of Tomcat
being percieved as too low w.r.t. the benefits and responsibilities a
commiter has within the wider Jakarta community, while acknowleding that
raising the bar would be Jakarta unfairly restricting the freedom Tomcat
mambers have in running their own community.

d.