I believe the fundamental principal behind our system is

        Them that does the work makes the decisions.

Integrating code or documentation into CVS is work, and people who do
that work are entitled to be decision-makers.

I believe a secondary principal behind our system is

        Thanks for volunteering.

If you think something needs to be done, then you volunteer to do it.

So, as a committer, you can decide that something needs to be added or
changed, and then you can go ahead and do it.

Most anything that needs to be done on a product, including the
documentationa and website, involves CVS. Doing and decision-making all
center on CVS.

If you accept a nomination to be a committer, and gain CVS access, then
you can apply your own patches. Since most of use the products we patch,
this is an important benefit to most contributors. If you happen to see
a patch from another contributor that you think is useful, you can apply
that too. But none of us are obligated to do anything we don't want to
do.

If there are other ways to contribute to a product that don't involve
CVS, and the Committers to a product want to make someone a Committer in
recognition of their non-CVS contributions, that sounds fine to me. Just
because you have CVS access doesn't mean you have to use it.

It's fun to talk about the obligations and responsibilites of
Committers, but the only real obligation is to commit your own stuff.
(Thanks for volunteering.)

Once someone is a Committer, I would also say that voting and handling
support issues on the lists is participating, and as long as they show
up once in a while to help out, AFAIC, they can keep their Committer
badge.

So, I'm saying

+ If you are working hard enough to need CVS access, you are working
hard enough to be a Committer.
+ If you are making significant contributions to the product in ways
that don't require CVS access, sure, you can be a Committer too.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services