On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 10:39, A. Gunes Koru wrote:

> Dear Andy,
>
> First of all, I would prefer to discuss these matters individually not on
> the list. However, because you are sending e-mails to the list I need to
> write it to the list too.

Then you might have taken my smartassed remarks personally... oh wait..
;-)

> I am also in this list and I don't see the number of surveys blooming.
> This is totally an incorrect statement. The e-mails I sent is related to
> the questions at the very heart of development. So, if they are
> unsolicited, unrequired, one can easily argue that non of the e-mails is
> required.

This is a circular argument...  If my smartass remarks on your survey
are unsolicited, unrequired then one can easily argue that any response
to your survey.... ;-)

> Regarding to the second part of e-mail, I think everybody in this list is
> clever enough to see you are just trying to place some definitions or
> labels. I am 30 years old I think I have been in many projects, which
> allow me to talk about what I know precisely. There are people doing their
> Ph.D. in their 40s and 50s. So, would you call them kids too? You only
> judge or identify yourself with what you say. You can not identify
> others. I think, any person who gained true mastery in a field would not
> feel this need to do it anyways.

It was a generalization based on the last few of these surveys I've
gotten.  There are always exceptions.

> Let people decide. I have been received over 110 answers. Let me ask you
> this. If there are people in this project interested in what I am writing,
> how can you feel comfortable trying to put down this communication. Do
> you think your friends do not have the ability to distinguish what is
> useful, what is relevant, what is not?

Because its was my opinion.  I've never gained any really useful
information out of surveys, most especially on software development.

> As I conclude, I should say that I am truly inspired with what I am doing
> and would like to remind this

To each their own.  If Surveys inspire you...go for it.  If making
smartass remarks about how many surveys I get in a day inspires
me...well I'll go for it ;-)

You know what I hate most about surveys?  Trying to characterize my
answers into one of the choices.  I am that dot you throw out because it
falls outside of the acceptable range of deviation ;-)

> "I might disagree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death
> your right to say it."
> Voltaire

exactly ;-)

-Andy