From: "Robert Simmons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta General" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 4:07 PM
Subject: Forum Software.

Well, once again I would like to bring up the concept of forum software for
Jakarta. The reason I am bringing it up again is that mailing lists are
intrusive and spammy. Daily I get flooded with a ton of email that I have
absolutely no interest in reading. However if I unsubscribe to the lists
than when there is something that I would like to know about or answer, I
will miss it. In addition, if I unsubscribe I'm not able to post my own
issues. With a mailing list, the communication mechanism is just too
intrusive. On a forum I can pick and choose what I want to read and reply
to.

As for them being used, its a simple matter of retiring mailing lists for
forum software.

When we consider that at least 90% of Jakarta users are not Jakarta
developers but will often have a question or an important insight, than the
folly of communicating only in mailing lists becomes clear.

-- Robert Simmons