There is plenty of it here at Apache, but what is the official status of LGPL. I am well aware that GPL linkage is verbotten and for good reason. However GPL is a very different beast.

Given that the FSF has plenty to say about Apache license in conjunction with the GPL, but little to say about the same scenario with respect to the LGPL, what is the situation for us?

To clarify the use of the LGPL software - it is direct use (import and instantiate) rather than extend or implement. I believe there is good separation.
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/altrmi/src/java/org/apache/excalibur/altrmi/client/impl/socket/AbstractSocketStreamSSHInvocationHandler.java

I am aware of a recent Cocoon discussion, but cannot believe they came to the conclusion that they could not use it. What I am really looking for is the wisdom from those who've had legal counsel for Apache on this subject.

- Paul