Dani Estermann wrote:
Has jakarta got a strategy/guideline/regulation that recommends a certain logging api to be used by jakarta projects? Are existing and future jakarta projects allowed to choose between log4j, LogKit, commons-logging or even JDK1.4-Logging?

We are currently choosing a logging api and implementation to be used in our business projects. While I favor the power of the log4j implementation, I ask myself if it would be wise to use a -- maybe more future-proof -- thin bridge like commons-logging on top.
As always, choose the right tool for the job.

If you need to be able to switch logging implementations, use Commons Logging.

If you need more power, use log4j.

If you are 100% sure that you will use 1.4+ Java, and have people accustomed to that logging, use Jdk1.4+ logging.

Just see what is more important to your project. If one size fit all, we wouldn't have to choose from ;-)

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- verba volant, scripta manent -