On 7/3/03 2:22 PM, "Cliff Schmidt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As Santiago points out, the veto rule provides some protection over
> pure majority, but I don't think anyone here wants to rely on that.
> All I can tell you is that BEA is more concerned about establishing a
> long term relationship with Apache and other open source communities
> than controlling the future development of XMLBeans.  From our
> perspective, we have much more to gain by proving ourselves as credible
> and positive contributors to open source, especially since we would
> like XMLBeans to be the first in a series of open source contributions.
> If the BEA committers attempt to make decisions against the wishes of
> the rest of the community and are viewed negatively for doing so, we
> have absolutely failed in what we set out to do.

That is encouraging.  That would be a nice development.  Of course you
understand that I don't want us to totally make an exception just because of
this.  At the moment, on the merits, the project has some difficulty.
However using this motivation that you're expressing, I think this is a
bridge that can be crossed.

-andy

> See my response to Howard's questions for more on how the project
> differs technically from other open source projects.
>
> Cliff

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?