If I were the chair of the Jakarta PMC and a board member and favored seeing
Jakarta split up into TLPs, I'd do this:

1. Put everyone on the PMC
2. Get them in a reorganization type discussion

Because the bulk of the 700? committers at Apache are in Jakarta and the
bulk of the discussion has no technical basis whatsoever to guide it, it
would eventually get frustrating and the participants would come to the
inevitable conclusion to which I wanted to guide them: Jakarta is
unsustainable.  Once the deed was done I could even step aside and watch it
burn.

However, if that were not my position and I were that same person, I'd guide
them to a middle ground where Jakarta was more of an administrative body
which handles Pan-Jakarta issues and each project had its own PMC
responsible for its own issues (releases,etc).  This would of course achieve
much the same thing as TLPs without all of the constitutional
convention-like discussion which will inevitably move to "the meaning of
democracy, meritocracy" and finally to some kind of equation to Hitler or
Nazism. (http://cbbrowne.com/info/godwin.html,
http://www.eff.org/Net_culture/Folklore/Humor/godwins.law)

The first would of course assume that I favored indirect manipulation as
opposed to just stating my viewpoint.
http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/946.html

This isn't intended to really contribute to the discussion since I doubt I
can change its inevitable path at this point.  It is only to provide me with
the empty satisfaction of saying "I told you so" later. ;-)

Have fun.  I'm mostly skimming now.  Someone let me know if I miss anything
that actually requires my attention.

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.