Date: 2004-10-06T20:25:14
   Editor: HenriYandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Wiki: Jakarta Wiki
   Page: LicenceIssues

   A first attempt at explaining the licence situation

New Page:

A list of licences other than the Apache v1 and v2 licences, and whether they may be
used by Jakarta (and other ASF projects by implication) sub-projects.

For a full range of potential open-source licences, see
http://www.opensource.org/licences/.

 || '''Licence''' || '''ASL compatible?''' || '''Commentary''' ||
 || BSD || Yes || ||
 || MIT || Yes || ||
 || GPL || No || ||
 || LGPL || No || The LGPL's intent is that it could be usable, but the legalese is
too poor ||
 || IBM CPL || No || A new licence may depend on both CPL and ASL, but ASL cannot
depend on CPL ||

To clarify; a statement of not being ASL compatible means that we cannot contain such
code in the ASF repositories, or import their classes into our code. We can provide a
plugin mechanism by which LGPL'd plugins might be plugged into our code, though the
configuration to do so should not be in the ASF repository.