Richard,

The IDE most people seem to talk about most (Eclipse) has a plugin
called Subclipse (search for it on Tigris).  It works, but it isn't as
well supported as CVS. For example, the synchronize perspective doesn't
work yet.  But, tool support is a "which comes first?" problem, as more
projects move towards Subversion, more widely used IDEs will support it
out-of-the-box (but, who gets software in a box these days?).

As far as Jakarta's eventual move to Subversion, you can see the start
here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/

I believe the plan is to have a directory per subproject.  Below that,
structure will depend on what an individual subproject needs.  But,
there are some tricky questions to answer especially in subprojects with
multiple "artifacts".  Take jakarta commons as an example.  We still
haven't decided where our trunk, tags, and branches will go.

Tim