I would add a note to Danny's comment: treat contributors as your
primary users.

I have seem many projects (inside and outside ASF) where people submit
patches and the patches are just ignored, without even an explanation
why it was not accepted. I know that applying a patch is not that simple
in most cases, but I think the risk of breaking something is lesser than
the risk of losing a good contributor. After all, if the patch breaks
something, you can fix it later; but if you piss-off a contributor
he/she will probably put his/her efforts in another project.

-- Felipe