On 27 Dec 2004, at 11:35, Torsten Curdt wrote:
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

<snip>

There has been
some suggestion that they be cleaned up by migrating them to some other
domain to be mothballed. The code, web site, and mailing list archives
would be preserved, and could be restored at such time in the future when a
community might arise.

Hmm... the question is whether we really *can* mothballing them. IMHO too many projects rely on them. It's an important piece of technology. At least bugfixes need to be applied. FWICS migration costs (e.g. to asm) are fairly high.

There *are* people that have patches in the queue.

i would like to suggest again something that costin suggested a long while ago now: for mature sub-projects we remove the extra layer and organize them directly under jakarta. so rather than being run as sub-projects with their own separate committer lists, the jakarta community runs them directly.

the commons uses an honour system (the committers for the components are listed in a STATUS file) which i think would work well in this case, with any interested committer being granted karma upon request (technically lazy vote of the pmc) and any required VOTEs (which should not be many) being done directly by the pmc.

- robert