We get these occasional requests that commons-net support ftp servers with non-English dates. I've created some functionality to implement this. I want to give it some real world testing.

Ah, there's the rub, however. You can't find these sites. They aren't publicly accessible. I know. I've harangued on this list, on jakarta-general. No one can point me at such a site. One person suggested the Apache mirrors. A nice idea, but --- Ha! I looked and looked. Any site run by/for software engineers is going to follow the standard - American English. Most software engineers know enough English to survive. I went further. I started googling for all sorts of things "ftp francais", "ftp okt", etc. I pored through the listings. Maybe 1 out of 10 shows me a real ftp site, which, once I log on anonymously shows me the dates - in standard English! It seems that the only people who are customizing their FTP sites to work that way are probably catering to non-technical users who might not be so English-friendly. But these must be typically private FTP sites.

OK, thinks me. I'll create my own stinking FTP server for testing. I have VMware on my linux box. Easy enough to install an old redhat (9.0+ no longer supports FTP but 8.0 does) under vmware. Configured it to be French. Got vsftpd running easily enough. Of course, I didn't think that would work, since none of the European sites I'd been accessing were in anything other than English on the FTP timestamps. And that's what I got, too. But I thought there must be a configuration option for the server daemon to make this happen, because as we know, there are SOME such sites. But I couldn't find one.

OK, so apparently vsftpd does not support the i18n feature. Does anyone know of an ftp server that does?