Hi Henri,

Thanks for a whole bunch of stuff to discuss!  I guess the logo issue
should be put top priority.
# Actually, I didn't realize we had an English top page until you
pointed it out.  :)

We'll get back to you in a while...
Until then,

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:52:10 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Shinobu Kawai wrote:
>
> > Hi Henri,
> >
> >> Trademarks/branding also worry me a bit. Do we have to do anything to give
> >> you permission to use the Feather etc (Apache have been increasingly
> >> protecting it recently). If we stick with the current l&f, it looks like
> >> an Apache site, but with no actual affiliation to Apache, so I suspect
> >> that someday I'll get a browbeating from the board.
> >
> > When you said "use the Feather", did you mean the use of the Jakarta
> > logo (http://jakarta.apache.org/images/jakarta-logo.gif) or the actual
> > feather in the image of the Ja-Jakarta logo
> > (http://www.jajakarta.org/images/jajakarta.png)?  Maybe both?
>
> Yep, both pretty much. As far as I understand, trademarks and logos etc
> need to be actively defended to keep them; so while there's no obvious
> issue with you guys using it, somebody who is using it for evil purposes
> can point to your use and claim that Apache is not defending its brand
> properly. I assume the solution is for us to make sure there's permission
> for you to use the logo etc.
>
> > One more question.  Are there any restrictions to using jakarta-site2
> > (or a modification of it) to build sites for non-ASF projects?  If
> > not, I don't see any problems with having the same l&f.  Or am I
> > missing a point?
>
> No problem with using it I think, the only issues that need to be figured
> out properly are the branding/logos, I think. I've a fair number of
> suggestions for, at least, the English translation of your homepage to do
> with trying to avoid confusion on the navigation, I'll add some to the end
> of this email.
>
> My current thoughts are that the best way for translation sites to
> continue are much along the lines that they currently do. Largely
> independent communities who are helping to spread the Apache/Jakarta
> brand.
>
> We would ensure that there is a liaison to the Apache/Jakarta community
> (for example I would put your name/email down somewhere as the liaison to
> the JaJakarta group); we would get the ASF legal people to write something
> simple giving permission to 'use the feather' and the name 'jakarta'
> provided a timely response to requests; and we'd link to your site from
> ours. I need to pitch this idea to the pmc/board etc, but it seems
> reasonable.
>
> --
>
> Suggestions for JaJakarta:
>
> This is from the English page as I don't speak any Japanese, but a lot of
> it may carry over. First off, some suggestions of improvements to the
> text:

> Welcome to the Ja-Jakarta Project
>
>     The Ja-Jakarta project is a Japanese user group who use various
> Java products provided by the Apache Software Foundation, in particular
> its Jakarta project.
>
> Our purpose is to:
>
>     * Translate Jakarta documentation into Japanese
> [...]

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu "Kawai" Yoshida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>