On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 17:31 -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Martin Cooper wrote:

<snip>

> >> If it's large: -1 to Commons, -1 to Jakarta. If it's tiny +0 to Commons,
> >> +1 to Jakarta, but they're converging to both be a +1 if not too framework
> >> like.
> >

> > I specifically chose a framework for my example because we have long stated
> > that frameworks should not live in Commons, and that is stated in our
> > charter. Are you saying you want to change that now, to allow frameworks as
> > Commons components? I so, -1 from me.
>
> Other way, frameworks -1 to being within Jakarta. Depends on definition of
> framework - VFS is a framework to me; an interface structure designed for
> multiple implementations. I'd stay +1 for small things like VFS.

IMO VFS is a bridging library, not a framework.

bridging libraries have a simple, user facing API is intended to be used
as a standard library. they also have a SPI (typically a mini-framework)
to allow the library to be extended by adding new implementations.
normal users should never use this: they just use it as a normal
library.

there are actually a number of bridging APIs in the commons and some
more are in the sandbox (for example, proxy). they are small and useful
for library creators since they allow projects to support multiple
backend configurations. bridging APIs have a number of similarities and
would probably make sense as a grouping.

- robert