On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 20:23 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 19:13 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > Reposted (edited) from original commons proposal.
> > Currently this proposal has general, though not unanimous, support.
> > A vote thread may follow this thread if the mood remains positive.
>
> i'm a little unsure whether this will turn out for better or worse but
> if people out there have energy, i'm willing to give it a go. time's
> probably right for a little innovation and experimentation.
>
> i like the idea of tagging emails better: a single list with cool server
> side filtering and metrics. we don't have the technology for this yet so
> i'm willing to see the mailing lists split so long as people would be
> willing to consider coming back if it every arrives...

I was just considering proposing exactly this!

The issues about groupings, subprojects, etc. are completely irrelevant
it seems to me. A community is the set of people subscribed to emails
about a particular project, no more and no less.

Unfortunately the way email lists are currently run at apache forces a
strict hierarchy onto community structure, and forces a choice between
coarse-grained and fine-grained style communities (eg one commons list
vs one-per-project). PMCs are structured hierarchically, and that is
reasonable, but communities don't need to be this way.

The perfect system, to me, would be a website that allows a user to
register a username/email-address; the process would confirm that the
user's email address is valid.

A set of checkboxes would allow a user to "subscribe" to various lists,
or to virtual groupings such as "jakarta commons" which would implicitly
subscribe to the list for every project that is tagged as being a
jakarta-commons project. Of course this implies fine-grained email lists
(ie one for each project); the problems of partitioning the subscriber
base too much is avoided by the existence of the groupings.

This system would allow overlapping groups to occur; for example
commons-digester can be filed under both "commons" and "xml" virtual
groups; someone subscribing to *either* group would receive
digester-related emails. It also allows projects to move from one PMC
to another without destroying the existing community (which *is* the set
of people receiving emails).

Groups also allow new projects to be created and added to the group; all
people subscribed to the group would then automatically get emails
related to that new project.

Any list which has less than 3 subscribers would automatically forward
its emails to the PMC list (or similar) for purposes of oversight.

Any person subscribed to 3 or more projects associated with "commons"
would automatically be subscribed to the whole commons group (or maybe
just sent a weekly nag email recommending they do so). That hopefully
allows casual commons developers to get just postings for one or two
projects, without destroying the useful commons-wide community that
exists now.

Having a single point for managing subscriptions would also help greatly
with something that regularly frustrates me: suspending subscription
when I'm away on holiday. Currently, I need to unsubscribe to
half-a-dozen lists then resubscribe on return.

This sort of functionality probably already exists in one of the
open-source mailing list management packages; it isn't anything radical
as far as I can see.

Cheers,

Simon