Yes. A lot of things predate the incubator. I'm not opposed to say an HTTPD-sandbox for experimental HTTPD related stuff. I'm not opposed to a POI-sandbox (indeed we have one but call it scratchpad) for POI-related stuff. However Jakarta-sandbox is SCOPELESS. Go have a scopeless sandbox on sourceforge IMO. If you want to start a whole NEW project then do that in the incubator IMO.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
projects coming into the ASF go through the Incubator.  New things
started entirely within the ASF do not, currently.
Then there is no NEED for a sandbox.

As you know, the sandbox predates the Incubator, and AIUI, the Sandbox
exists so as to allow experiments without polluting the respository in such
manner that would confuse the public and ourselves about what is real and
what is play.  There may be other ways in to achieve that goal.

        --- Noel