Adding velocity-dev

Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm completely with Nathan here. A Velocity TLP will not be "another
> Jakarta" (though I do fail to see why everyone seems to believe that
> Jakata is always considered a bad example).

Right - the only thing that was bad about Jakarta is that we grew too
fast for scalable Apache governance, and that people identified more
with Jakarta than with the ASF.

> On the opposite. The Velocity TLP is intended to help reducing the
> number of projects that Jakarta has. Which is a push that was started by
> Henri last year. The fact that Velocity already has a number of projects
> (VelocityTools, which doesn't make any sense without Velocity and same
> goes for DVSL; two projects that are heavily entwined with Velocity)
> will not go away whether it is located under Jakarta or its own TLP.

I understand the whole history.  I never understood the pressing need to
push things out of Jakarta - projects were leaving on their own - but it
doesn't really matter.

> I know that we will be reluctant in accepting new projects into Velocity
> and I hope that you will be one of the watchguards of that policy on the
> new Velocity PMC. But personally, I consider "Clustering" a good thing.

I'd like a clearer charter.

> Having a small group of related projects available through a single
> point of access (like e.g. the Lucene related stuff) is a good thing.
> Just pushing everything top-level IMHO is not. Especially if projects
> are too small to go TLP. And putting e.g. VelocityTools under Jakarta
> would IMHO not be correct because it would be somehow "lost" there. A
> project like that would always look towards Velocity even if it is
> located somewhere else.
>
> For upcoming stuff: there currently is talk with Click (click.sf.net),
> and the relation of Click to Velocity is similar (IMHO) the the relation
> of Velocity to VelocityTools. They will have to go through incubation
> (surely) if they decide to join, but the communities of Velocity and
> Click seem to be an even match.
>
> So, in a nutshell: Don't worry. Velocity will not become another
> Jakarta. It might become another Lucene or MyFaces with a small number
> of clearly defined, Velocity related projects, though. Which is a good
> thing IMHO.

I'm worried or I wouldn't be saying anything.

geir