Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot for that mail.

> It is
> fair to criticize our build...it is pretty rusty and yucky.  I do
> however thing focusing too much on it is a bit well...mean.

See my reply to Avik's mail. I didn't mean to focus.
(That pun was unintentional, but I'll leave it in.)

> I really don't want POI to really merge into
> Jakarta (which is really now the successor to Jakarta Commons) and I
> don't think the majority of the committers do either.

That answers the question I was asking myself since shortly
after the vote thread started. Is POI going to go independent,
or is it going to merge into Jakarta? If it's going independent
within a few months, there is no point in opening SVN access.

> On the other
> hand, I really don't think POI by itself can be a TLP as its scope is
> too narrow (historically this was deliberate).  I also don't think that
> parts of POI have much of a future as we're moving to an XML formats

I was told that vinyl is dead in the early 90s. "Starting next year,
nothing will be released on vinyl anymore." I built a collection of
well over 1000 records since, and there are still new releases. It's
not mainstream anymore, but it exists and has it's followers.

> era, but other parts certainly do.  Partly because of projects like POI,
> Microsoft is even moving.  Once the default is to save in an XML format
> then will anyone really care about POI "as it is" as more than a
> migration tool.

There's nothing wrong with being a migration tool.
Being more than a migration tool is even better.

+1 to the rest of your mail.

cheers,
  Roland