Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Matt Benson wrote:
>> > --- Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > [SNIP]
>> >>

>> > http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/jakarta-commons-csv.html
>> >
>> > Actually I knew about this but thought I remembered
>> > someone (Henri?) saying later that having gotten the
>> > code in this way might not have been the best choice
>> > in retrospect.  Does that ring any bells with anyone?
>>
>> Yep that rings a bell and going down that route again, is not
>> something that has my support for
>> *new* components (which this is). If the code is destined for an
>> existing codebase, we could do the
>> IP route, else I would like to see some level of incubation (besides
>> handling ip). See the
>> discussion on not-yet-commons ssl.
>
> I'm wondering why? Seems to me that this is a slightly different
> situation to either CSV or the SSL situations since one of the
> developers is an existing ASF and Commons committer.

There are new committers involved. With CSV Henri is a committer (not talking
karma here) (and me
too, although we are both not very active). I think when new people are
involved incubation (besides
legal) should occur (even though the community import isn't that big, compared
to similar situation
like activemq, servicemix, etc, where the core developers are actually ASF
Members)

In case of this scenario (and ssl) I "envision" this for incubation :

- Get the people on board as a committer on the initial proposal
- Have them *show* that they are here to stay for an x amount of time
- Ideally have the normal exit criteria, although I can imagine for commons a
slightly weaker exit
strategy may be adapted (don't think the incubator thinks that eg 3 committers
on a project is a
vibrant community, although within commons it definitely will be!).
- Get a release out.

If someone starts hacking on code in the sandbox I am ok with that, but rather
not see new code
again hitting the sandbox, since we "don't" accept new committers on sandbox
components and it
doesn't have the ability to have a release (disclaimer : I became committer in
Jakarta because of a
sandbox component, ahum).

I highly prefer that incubating commons components to use the commons-dev and
commons-user list,
since to do development however, since it would be quite a cultural shock when
moving from incubator
specific lists to the commons ones.

Disclaimer : this is just a brain dump and I would love to see some new
projects at Jakarta, but I
think we also need to figure out how we should handle that in a constructive
way and prevent
feedparser and csv situations.

Mvgr,
Martin