>> While I would like to get rid of HttpClient 3.x rather
>> sooner than later, there's no denyig that it will stay
>> with us for several years to come. From this angle, it
>> would make sense to move the WebDAV client as it is.
>
> Maybe that could be the first step.

If there is a reasonable interest of developers to
help support the 3.x based WebDAV client, I am in
favor of cutting it out. I hope that this discussion
will heat up a bit next week. (while I'm away...)

Leaving the server-side code of Slide in Jakarta
will surely give the new project a better start.
That code would be a huge burden on my mind, and
probably not mine alone.

cheers,
  Roland